State Senator Joan Hartley (D-15), a former educator, was enthusiastic to see the release of $492.43 million in federal Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Funds throughout Connecticut, including over $46 million in funds to Waterbury, Naugatuck, and Middlebury schools.
That funding is dedicated to targeting and reducing educational disparities among students that have been further exacerbated from the pandemic, with possible uses including additional classroom supports, intensive tutoring and enhanced summer school programming.
“From strengthening health and safety strategies in schools to increasing tutoring support, these funds will provide critical support to schools as they continue to navigate the impact of the coronavirus pandemic,” said Sen. Hartley. “Thank you to U.S Representative Rosa DeLauro, U.S. Representative Jahana Hayes and the entire Connecticut federal delegation for advocating for the needs of Connecticut students, teachers, and schools.”
The following school districts and schools in the 15th Senate District received funds:
- Waterbury Public Schools – $41,651,124
- Naugatuck Public Schools – $3,722,562
- Regional School District 15 (includes Middlebury) – $525,776
- Brass City Charter School in Waterbury – $345,874
Connecticut received $492.43 million in funding in the latest allotment, increasing total Emergency Relief Funds received to just over $600 million. Part of the federal Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, 90 percent of the funding will be allocated to municipal education groups, while a remaining 10 percent will be used for state-level activities.
Approved uses of the funds include coordinating improved COVID-19 response, prevention and preparation efforts; addressing learning loss among students, including groups seen to experience increased learning loss such as low-income students, children with disabilities, English learners, racial and ethnic minorities, students experiencing homelessness and children and youth in foster care; addressing individual schools’ needs; improving sanitation on school campuses; and improving indoor air quality in schools while reducing risk of environmental health hazards, among others.