Seth Thomas Clock Restored and Returned to Bank Street

The Historic 17-foot tall Seth Thomas Street Clock, dating back to 1921, was removed from its location on Bank Street and brought to Wakefield, Rhode Island in October 2019 to be fully restored. The clock is returning to its location on April 16, 2020. 

Morris A. Green founded M. A. Green, a jewelry shop, in Waterbury, CT in 1898. The store is still open today in Hartford, CT as Lux, Bond, and Green. Between 1922 and 1936, the store was located at 71-73 Grand Street in Waterbury. In 1932, M. A. Green purchased Lux, Bond, and Lux Jewelers and renamed the store Lux Bond, and Green.

M. A. Green ordered the now historic clock from Seth Thomas on August 17, 1921 and it was shipped to Waterbury on November 4, 1921. In November 1936, the store and clock relocated to its current location at 117-121 Bank Street. The store remained there until the Waterbury branch was closed in 1992. At the January 14, 1993 Board of Aldermen meeting the clock was accepted as a gift from Lux, Bond, and Green.

The City of Waterbury decided to take on this restoration project in cooperation with the Historic Restoration Fund; a matching grant through the CT State Historic Preservation Office. The work was publically bid and Old School Antiques from Wakefield Rhode Island fully restored the clock. Waterbury Development Corporation administered the project. The footing was extended so that the clock will not rest on the sidewalk to become weatherized. The clock will once again tell time and light up the historic Bank Street Corridor.